Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Playing with colors

Sketchbook Saturday Challenge is celebrating its 100th challenge!  I've always loved Iwona's sketches and cards and since I started playing along I can't stop my obsession.  I have a strong feeling by playing along her challenges my skills are improving and my comfort zone is expanding.  I've tried many things that I would have never done but for her challenges.  What's better than that, get to play and improve at the same time?

Her 100th challenge sketch looks like this:


I've decided to make a birthday card and play with some colors.  I got a Lawn Fawn stamp set back in April but it has never seen any ink (Shhhhhh......don't tell anyone that I have a disease of hoarding craft supplies) so it is time to give it some love!  I'm using its flower and coloring it with regular color pencils.


To tell you the truth.  I did try coloring the flowers with other media before using color pencils.  Mastering coloring with markers is a goal of mine.  I keep trying but results are too inconsistent.  For this card, I've tried coloring with distress markers but the blending of the colors makes it look to soft and pale, which is quite different from the background so I avoided that.  I thought about watercolor pencils but I think applying water will dilute the intensity so that was out.  I settled with my childish but trusted friend, color pencils, who always give me some confidence in coloring.  :) 

My card is also entering the challenge at Seize the Birthday.  This month it is letting us link up any kind of birthday cards, fun!



Before I forget, today's color combo is something I'm challenging myself - dark blue, light/pale blue, gray, red and purple.  I am not keen on using so many colors, but we just have to give everything a try.  By trial and error we'll eventually learn something!

Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. cards looks so beautiful and lovely coloring, the colors you used matches well and i would sometime like to try this combination. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, you just made my day!! It's so cool to know that my sketches let you expand, that alone can keep me going for the next 100! LOL
    Gorgeous card, love the background you created!

    ReplyDelete